I'm grateful for music and my ability to play the piano and the organ. The piano has always been a part of me since I was a little girl, but my organ abilities didn't really get going till college. I loved learning how to play the organ. It was probably the best thing I did at college (other than meeting my husband and other great friends of course). It brought me such joy then and still continues to do so, even though I don't play as much as I used to. During college practicing the organ was such a spiritual uplift for me because we were also required to practice hymns in addition to regular organ literature. Playing the hymns daily was my own personal devotional and brought peace and calm into my day.
Today in church I played the David Willcocks arrangement of "Oh Come All Ye Faithful." It is a beautiful arrangement, quite tricky in parts and very majestic. The congregations sings in unison on the last two verses while the organ plays different harmonies. When I play that arrangement with a congregation singing full force in the background it brings out the very depth of the words of that carol and makes me cry. "Oh come let us adore Him, Christ, the Lord." I had to blink away the tears and pull my emotions together otherwise I wasn't going to be able to see the music!!!
I could go on and on about music but I don't have the time right now. So I will just end my November gratitude postings with the sentiment that I love and am grateful for music and especially love Christmas music. So here we go into December....
Thanks for reading.
3 comments:
I just want to say... I am grateful for you musical talents too. I always felt so privileged to be in the FLSR ward to hear the fabulous concerts in sacrament meeting.
You are one I admire.
I hadn't checked your 'muse' blog for over a month and I really enjoyed reading through all of your gratitude posts! What a cool thing to do, and it reminded me of so many things I'm grateful for. I'm grateful you didn't have a car for a while . . . it made it faster and more fun to get to know you, driving to Target, Babies R Us, etc.
That organ music in church rocked. Spectacular. I was blessed to move into the ward in time to hear it. I love, love organ music--especially in a chapel or cathedral (German preferably :-)
Post a Comment