Friday, March 6, 2009

ps to Trials

I meant to add and forgot when writing about trials that I've also often wondered how someone else's trials might actually be important in the grand scheme of things in ways they'll never know on this earth. What if a terrible trial like the loss of a loved one ends up bringing a family together that would have fallen apart (even if it wasn't apparent at the time the trial occurred that the family was heading in that direction), or a trial that one family experiences ends up helping someone else find their own faith again and consequently their salvation? I've wondered whether someday in the next life people will hear things like: "you had to experience that trial or your marriage would have fallen apart because you wouldn't have focused on the important things of life" or "I know it was a trial for you to watch that person have that church calling when you could have done it so much better, but it actually kept them on the strait and narrow path when they otherwise would have gone astray."
I know that I might find out things like: "You needed that trial so you would grow into the strong, compassionate, patient, deep woman that you became. Without trials you would have stayed small, impatient, and selfish, like a young child who expects to be given everything they want right away and needs to learn that the world doesn't center around her."

I'm still learning. A lot. My own set of trials has varied. Lately it has been some unusual circumstances. I'm sorry that my husband and my mom have had to listen to my complaints of "I don't know how I'm supposed to do this." But in turn, they help me put things in perspective and help me grow and become the woman I want to be. As much as I don't like the growing pains, I like the result at the end.

1 comment:

Kjelstrom Family said...

I really appreciate this post. I have never thought about trials in that light, but I think that it's true. Your trials teach others and others trials teach you. I know my mom would always say it's best to learn from the mistakes of others. I have tried to do that in my life. However, I will say the deepest lessons that have imprinted on my heart are through those trials I have experienced personally.