First of all thank you to all my friends who wrote such nice comments and didn't disown me and point out how pathetic I might have sounded in my last post.
Secondly, sometimes it helps to get through a rough spot by writing it out. I feel better now that I got it all out in writing.
Third, change has never been easy for me. That might be surprising to some considering I've had to deal with so much change my whole growing up, but it doesn't make it any easier. Having said that, it doesn't mean I don't want change or appreciate change, it's just not easy for me. I think sometimes people equate 'change not being easy' with 'wanting everything to stay the same all the time'. That's not true. I do appreciate change, it just takes me time to digest it.
Since I was in my glass half empty mode writing that last post I'll do a glass half full post just to balance things out.
There have been a few people who were especially kind to us during these last few months at church. Especially with the whole funeral we received much support for the service and at the family dinner beforehand. We also received a few meals brought to our home when we first moved in, and I have had people tell me how much they appreciate my musical skills-how much they are needed here. The Bishop and his wife have been total angels. They let us use their laundry before we had ours delivered and they have been kind beyond measure. One lady gave me a copy of a book of organ music composed by her mother.
You're probably reading all of this and thinking: "Dorothea-what is your problem!" I don't know, just change. I'm feeling better already. Like I said, it feels good to write.
I guess the integrating into a new ward thing will happen slowly, almost unnoticed.
I agree with Rozanne, my time to feel comfortable here will come slowly but surely...it always does. And Lenna, it most definitely is a culture shock even though it is 45 minutes away!!! You would think after the various cultures I have lived in or visited extensively-Germany to England, France, Switzerland... I wouldn't think LA/Santa Monica to La Mirada/Buena Park would be such a big change, but I'm a sensitive person and even subtleties are big differences to me.
I'm feeling more at home grocery shopping, driving around, with the school routine etc. But church is only once a week, so I haven't had as many opportunities to get totally comfortable with it yet. But it will come. Now that I think about it I remember some of you who have moved away from SM2 and had a hard time with your new wards. That makes me feel better.
SM2 certainly wasn't perfect-no ward is. But with time you come to love the people you serve and worship with week after week. One of the greatest things that has happened to me in this new ward is co-teaching the 12 year old Sunday School class with Warren. The kids are great (although quiet) but they will participate when called upon and give deep answers. It is a true joy to teach them each week and Warren and I feel like we are making a difference.
Anyway, enough journalistic ramblings for one night. Thanks for your understanding my friends. Life is good. I had a great day. I just have to add this one story. Last week I took my kids to the park. Of course when we go to the park we miss all of our little rascal friends from LA. But we looked for new friends and met a cute little girl named Lucy. She and Rebecca held hands all around the duck pond and played perfectly for a couple of hours. We said we'd meet them back at the park the next week. We got there today and couldn't find them at first. But then we found them and they (Lucy and her Grandma) were so excited we had actually come. They told us how they had told Lucy's parents about us and the dad had them write it in big letters on the calendar and circled it. And every day Lucy would ask if tomorrow was the day she would get to play with Rebecca again. So, we made someone's day today. And that makes my day!!!
4 comments:
I hear you, Sista! Change is hard for me, too. But you are such a beautiful, talented, loving and strong person and these experiences will make you even stronger. Your children will learn strength, bravery and courage from you. Give yourself time and give your new life time. Before you realize it, there will be routines for you to look forward to, amidst all your new adventures! The first year was lonely but one day everything clicked and I knew I would be OK. And then I started to enjoy it... until our next move! ;)
Thanks for sharing Dorothea. We will be dealing with what you have been going through in a few months. I appreciate your honesty, because I then will know what kinds of things I will be feeling. It is nice to know that others have, are, and will be doing the same things in their lives as ours, just at different times. It will get easier as time goes on.
I've been thinking how to respond... I've been in a few wards since getting married...and it's been pretty much the same for me. I've been the new person that has had to reach out to the ward. I have never had people reach out to me.
And even now, after it's been nearly 5 years of living in the same house... I'm still the gatherer. It isn't easy... it's nice to have a bit of control...but it is honestly tiring at times. I admit I get a little woe is me sometimes.
I'm not trying to empty out that half-full glass post you have today, I'm just trying to say... sometimes that's how it is. Or maybe I'm some weird anomaly. ;-)
I can't even count the number of people and families I've gathered at my home or organized outings for... and yet, I can count the number on my fingers of how many have returned the favor. If I dwell on it too long it's not a good thing. So I try to think happy thoughts.
It can be frustrating...I don't understand it...sometimes I want to give up...but I remember what it's like to be new and feeling like it would be so much easier to have someone welcome me in. So even though that's never been done for me...I keep doing it...
...I knew you should've moved up here to be my neighbor. I'd have you integrated in a jiffy. ;-)
Love you!
Just came to your blog and realized I was WAY behind on my reading :) I remember going to a Stake Relief Society activity just a week or so after we moved to LA and sitting all by myself feeling like I was in middle school again until Susan B. came and sat next to me. I was SO grateful to her and swore I would be the kind of person that sat next to new people. I'm glad you are having some positive experiences and hope you start feeling at home soon.
Post a Comment