Monday, February 23, 2009

Trials

I've been thinking a lot about trials lately, at least an aspect of trials. It is my belief that everyone that comes to earth will have trials and will be tested. But I also believe that trials come in all shapes and sizes.

I was thinking about how for some people the event that is causing the trial can be very public, like the loss of a child or a divorce. However, some of the pain that the person has to endure might come from knowing that even though everyone else knows about the trial on the outside, no one else can really know what it feels like to be that person actually going through the trial.

But then there are the trials that are private, due to a variety of reasons. Those trials can be quite difficult because on the outside it might look like everything is "fine" and yet the person is quietly suffering deep grief, often all alone. This aspect of trials might be particularly difficult because you don't even have the sympathy from others who can say: I know you're going through a rough time even though I don't understand everything you're experiencing.

I'm not trying to say one type of trial is more difficult than another. Like I said at the beginning, trials come in all shapes and sizes and everyone will have them. So the bottom line is not to judge others when we might think that they don't have any trials. For some people trials might come in waves, deep piercing moments that are almost unbearable. For others the trials of life might be like a constant dull pain, always there, always testing ones patience.
It is good to remember to be more charitable towards each other and judge less.
I love these words from a favorite hymn:

"Lord, I Would Follow Thee."

Who am I to judge another
When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden
Sorrow that the eye can't see.
Who am I to judge another?
Lord, I would follow thee.

2 comments:

QueenScarlett said...

Word verification...trialses

This is why sometimes I get a little annoyed when there are certain people in the ward, always using up the welfare/service hours of everyone else. ;-)

I always try to look at the people everyone thinks has it together... because if they're anything like me... we keep things private...we don't want to burden people with our "stuff".

I find the folks that never ask for help... often would be incredibly grateful for it. I figure...it's only fair to help them out - they spend all their time helping out others...;-)

K kid said...

I agree that neither type of trial is "harder", but internal trials can be especially difficult precisely because they are invisible to others who assume that everything is fine or assume that we are "one of those people" that don't have any trials (if that even exists...). Sometimes it is made more difficult by the tendency of people to put their best foot forward. It can make it feel like you are the only one who struggle. I definitely struggle to find the balance between being positive and being honest and sharing my experiences with others.