Today I started backing up out of the parking lot when I heard a big "crunch."
I hate that sound when you're in the car.
I had forgotten to load my stroller back in the car and had driven onto it. It took three guys and a crate to delicately maneuver me off of the stroller while trying to do minimal damage to the stroller and no damage to the car (we hoped).
It happened because I loaded four humongous bags of compost into my trunk, well, the Lowe's guy did the loading and even he commented "wow, these are heavy-did you lift them onto the cart yourself?" Yes, I did... anyway, back to the story. I took the stroller out so we could load them. We even talked about the stroller and how he had the same brand. He shut the trunk and said, you're all set, have a nice day, and without further ado I got back in my car and started to drive.
Considering the big crunch it made I got off pretty lucky. We think we can bend it back into place. And wash off the tire marks on the metal and the canopy.
I didn't take it too well initially though, and drove to Costco in tears. I got in line at the gas station-the two pumps were in use in the line I chose- and turned around to give my crying child a snack. I turned back to the front to notice a guy just pulling into the front pump. I couldn't believe it. I was in line, I had hardly been turned around for a few seconds, it should have been obvious I was in line and just helping my kid, and this guy just chose to completely ignore me and cut in front of me. In the crushed stroller state of mind I was in I didn't take it too well. I had my response ready for when I finally got my turn and got out of my car. He was still in front of me, but I held my tongue and only gave him half an evil eye.
After shopping at Costco I came out and looked at my tire which looked like it was going flat. Great. The one where I had run over the stroller. In more tears I drove to the tire place (I had to get back to pick Rebecca up from the bus) but in the end he thought it might just be low. He filled it up and told me to keep an eye on it.
This story leads me to something I've been wanting to write about for awhile now. One of my biggest personality challenges. I don't take my own mistakes very well. Especially when they involve things that cost money to fix. (Things that can't be fixed with money are a topic in themselves-for another day.)
For example, nothing drives me more crazy than a lost library book. I try to tell myself, it's only money, but that doesn't help. (Luckily I've found them all so far and haven't had to pay for one yet.) Or the time I broke some little piece off my brand new expensive paper cutter. Or mail in rebates we forget to mail in.
I get frustrated with the things the kids do to hurt the house/furniture/etc., but not anywhere nearly as badly as the things I mess up myself. In my mind I should be above silly mistakes and accidents. It's a very uptight part of myself and one I'm not happy with or proud of and one I'm trying to work with, but it's very very hard for me. I know there are things in our lives which are out of our control, but the things in my control I feel like I shouldn't be messing up. Like putting a stroller down and while doing it thinking: I shouldn't be putting this on the ground, I might forget it!
Luckily I have a husband who listens, who never gets mad about me breaking/ruining/losing ANYTHING. I don't think I could do anything wrong in his eyes in that department.
He's a gem.
One piece of advice that I tried to use today with another incident was something along these lines: if it's not something that will be a serious concern for you in ten years, why worry about it now. It helped somewhat. Does anyone have any other good ideas? HELP!
7 comments:
We all have our little things that we want to get better in our lives. Lately I am having a hard time trying to learn how to keep calm and not get as frustrated with my children. It seems that I have been getting uptight with them a lot, and it is making me feel worn out and exhausted by the end of the day. We all have these little things, but we also all have the gift of the atonement to help us through our challenges. You will get through it as we all will, and we will be stronger and better because of our challengers.
Have you seen the new "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" movie (the one with Johnny Depp)?
I am exactly like you-- I get so upset at my mistakes that have to be fixed with money. I also get really uptight about spending money on anything. So my wise mother always quotes from this movie:
"Money is common! They make more of it every day!" (It's Grandpa Joe telling Charlie he should not sell the Golden Ticket for money.)
hey ^.^ i was just searching the blogs for common interest cuz i like to paint with watercolor and i searched in that field, that's how i found your blog and am new i just started my blog so i wanted to meet other bloggers :P if you are not interested i can remove my self from the list. [am sorry if that disturbed you by anyhow]
"Bless and Release"
I heard this suggestion at a conference I was attending where the point was basically about letting go of things over which you have very little control. But you may say, "but I do have control over my stroller!" Well, that is only partly true...because once it was crunched..it was. Now you don't have control to not have had that experience. So you 'bless' the stroller for giving you the experience, then you 'release' the experience to the universe. Now you can deal with what is ahead of you in regards to the stroller ...fixing, bending, further crunching, tossing, whatever....
This little phrase works especially well with the way other people act or react, since there is almost nothing you can do to make another person act a certain way...so you can't take it on.
I know this is all way easier said than done...but I use it sometimes. And if nothing else it gives me a little chuckle because you have to make hand gestures for "blessing" (like as if you are 'knighting' someone) and "release" (toss it out and, while you're at it, kick your leg back at the same time)
Oh, by the way, I forgot to say that I love you and don't be so hard on yourself! We are all just human! Why do we do that to ourselves???
Please, be kind to the one person you are never away from...YOU!
I had a wise friend who told me that we only have so much "emotional energy" and she doesn't like to waste it on something that can't be changed. I like that concept. Again, it is easier said than done (especially when it is your own mistake).
I'd also like to second what Susan said. You are an AMAZING and WONDERFUL person. Thanks for sharing your "human" moments. It makes the rest of us feel better :)
I try (not always successful, but I try anyway) to use the one you mentioned in your post: the ten-year rule. Ten years from now, how will I feel about this? Or how will it have affected my life? I hate, hate, HATE when I do something dumb that costs me money (even a little bit). But I have to look at the bigger picture, you know?
I guess the old adage is true also about there being no use crying over spilled milk (a saying which as a mom with little ones, I have come to TRULY KNOW) :) Its' happened, and I can't change it. Now I must fix what needs to be fixed and move on.
Hang in there, Dorothea! And totally lame, insensitive guy that cut in front of you at Costco!
Post a Comment