"Emily, why do you want to write? Give me your reason."
"I want to be famous and rich," said Emily coolly.
"Everybody does. Is that all?"
"No. I just love to write."
"A better reason-but not enough-not enough. Tell me this-if you knew you would be poor as a church mouse all your life-if you knew you'd never have a line published-would you still go on writing-would you?"
"Of course I would," said Emily disdainfully. "Why, I have to write-I can't help it by times-I've just got to."
from Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery
This is just one of the reasons I love Emily. I have always had a need to write. Mostly this need has been fulfilled by writing journal entries. Blogging has been a good outlet, but I don't feel as free as I do in my journal. Having children has kept me busier and writing less. Sometimes I read other bloggers who say they have been having writers block. I don't feel like that is the case with me. Usually the problem is finding the peace of mind to sit down and write. Sometimes the need to write it out builds up and up until I'm aching to write. I've had a couple topics on my mind doing that to me lately, but I've wanted to do them justice so I haven't sat down to write about them yet.
Switching back to Emily, I haven't found very many people who grew up reading Emily of New Moon and the other two books in the sequel. They were my absolute favorite book series as a young teenager. Warren and I even read them out loud to each other when we first got married. I wanted him to understand a deep part of me. I just reread the first one with an online book club last month. I have grown up a lot since I first read those books at age 14. I have a different perspective on them now, but I still love them. They're not for everyone. I don't think anyone I have recommended them to has fallen in love with them. That's okay. They're a part of me and I don't have to be like anyone else. I won't stop recommending them though. Someday, somebody will be glad I did.
A couple last thoughts.
One of my favorite descriptions of death comes from this book.
Emily and Anne are very different characters and I identify more with Emily than with Anne. Anne was entertaining, but I connected with Emily on a deeper level.
I love the narrative of the story, how Montgomery uses Emily's letters to her deceased father to tell part of the story.
Enough for tonight. I have more writing to do in another place, on another topic. Till next time, adieu.
3 comments:
I like that book too. Actually I remember crying in parts. I forgot to tell you that that quote on death in the book I remembered from when I was young. I think you convinced to pick it up again. I think I need to reread all my old friends from my youth. Be nice to read them with my present perspective.
I'm with you about the non-writer's block. I just need to find more time! But I am not sad that we've been busy, busy doing fun things... so much so my house is showing the neglect of housework...and devotion to summer fun.
Okay Dorothea--we must be kindred spirits! I ADORE the Emily of New Moon series. I read those books multiple times as a pre-teen. Thanks for reminding me I need to dig them out of my basement and give them a look again.
I'm so happy to have found a couple more people who like Emily, too! I only wish I knew which Emily left me the comment. I have a few different Emily's in my life. Can you email me so I know who you are? Thanks.
Queen Scarlett-how fun to find out you have read the series. The goodreads group Kindred Spirits is reading Emily Climbs in July.
Post a Comment