Wednesday, June 3, 2009

High-Low and How are you?

I used to teach piano to a family in LA. On occasion Rebecca and I would stay and have dinner with them. They had a tradition around the dinner table. Everyone would go around and say their "High-Low" for the day. What was their high point? What was their low point? It was good food for conversation and helped include everyone in the family in the discussion, no matter what their age. I really liked this idea and once in awhile I remember to do it with Rebecca.

The other day we were walking home and out of the blue she asked me, "Mom, what was your high/low today?" It made my heart melt. She really wanted to know. It really makes me happy when someone calls or sees me and asks "how are you?" and really wants to know. I realize we use the phrase 'how are you' in America as a standard greeting and don't expect a truthful answer, and I've come to accept that. But if you ever want to do a nice thing for me, just ask me, with sincerity, how I'm doing and it'll make my day!

2 comments:

Devon said...

That is a sweet idea. In fact, as I was putting Dakin to bed tonight we discussed that very thing--except we only did highs and he didn't contribute to the conversation. lolol

Rozanne said...

I believe I got that idea from the same dinner table! When I remember, we do that, too.