Here in Southern California we had a wonderful Stake Conference weekend. It was a satellite broadcast from Salt Lake City, something that doesn't happen very frequently and included 88 Stakes. I enjoyed knowing that my friends all over So. Cal were listening to the same talks that I was and sharing the same wonderful spirit.
Our speakers included Elder Jeffrey R. Holland and President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. All of the talks were uplifting and inspiring. I have chosen to share some of my personal notes with you that I took while listening to Elder Holland speak. Please note that these are my own notes, and even though I was trying to write down his words, I will not have the ability to check my notes against his actual words since we don't get a written copy like we do at General Conference.
Elder Holland asked us to resolve this year to be more forgiving. Of ourselves and of others.
Under the point forgiving ourselves, here are my notes:
"Please forgive yourself. I don't know why we're so hard on ourselves. Resolve some of the issues once and for all and move on with our lives. The kinds of things that are "dumb" things. Things we wish we didn't do, (hadn't done) and keep brow beating ourselves over. Keep working, praying, and striving to be better, but don't keep berating yourself. It has an unwholesome effect on you and those around you. Don't be so hard on yourself.
Every good thing you have ever done pleases God. You're striving to be what Heavenly Father wants you to be. It's a delight to him (that you are striving) and it should be to you as well. The scriptures say "I the Lord remember them [our sins] no more." And neither should we.
Move on, move up, be kind to yourselves."
(end of my notes)
I particularly enjoyed this talk because this is something I have been working on for years. I think I have made some progress. I think as I learn to let go of things I wish I hadn't done or done differently I free up my energy for more important tasks... things in the present that matter NOW. Yes, we need to keep trying to be better, but I got the message from Elder Holland that we need to find more joy in the small, yet consistent progress we are making day to day. Forgive yourself of your shortcomings and delight in the wonderful good that is YOU!
We will be more effective men and women, mothers and fathers, spouses and community leaders if we have all of our positive energy to put into the present instead of worrying about the past. I believe we will feel more peace in our lives and be happier if we forgive ourselves.
I look forward to putting this principle into practice even more this coming year.
I hope you will, too.
4 comments:
I too enjoyed his talk today. He is probably my favorite. But today was really uplifting. It almost felt like permission to move on...why do we have a hard time giving ourselves permission??
Wish I was in So Cal to hear this! Thank you for sharing this... this one is a big one for me... I need to to do better. ;-)
I loved his talk too! It was a different type of message than from one I am used to. It was of mercy and kindness to oneself and others. Loved it!
Thanks ladies. I got to put my words into practice this week! It's a good message and one I will turn to often. He also spoke about forgiving others. That is just as vital to a joyful life.
Post a Comment