Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mothering with Spiritual Power

I bought a book titled: "Mothering With Spiritual Power" by Debra Woods. I haven't finished it but enjoyed what I have read so far. What the author did was basically take a few scriptures and show how they fit into her life as a mother, and how they helped her be a better mother. I really liked the idea but thought to myself: "I could do this, too." I decided to find my own scriptures and my own life applications. I started reading the Book of Mormon from the beginning again, thinking now of my role as a parent. It has been amazing how many insights I have gained just through the first few chapters. You could do the same thing with the Bible, too, if that is what you are reading right now.

I don't have time to write up all my findings right now, plus it is more valuable to everyone to have their own experience doing this anyway. But I did want to mention a couple of thoughts. I love the opening verse of the Book of Mormon:

"I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days."

Until now I had always read this first as if I were Nephi, the one with goodly parents. But this time I was reading it with my role as mother in mind. Suddenly it struck me that it is my turn to be the "goodly parent" now. If that is how the Book of Mormon begins, what better way than to look to it for guidance on how to be a parent.

And how? "I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father."

My job is to TEACH my children. I love that that is one of my main jobs. I teach them about life, the world, God, how to take care of themselves and others, how to serve, how to be a friend, how to feel the Savior's love. I TEACH them these things and more.

I also love that Nephi says how he had seen "many afflictions in the course of [his] days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in ALL [his] days."

Nephi knew that he was favored of the Lord even despite his afflictions. Maybe even because his afflictions. Afflictions are not a sign that we are not loved. Afflictions are part of life. Part of learning, growing, becoming.

I love the strength that I receive through my relationship with God. I value and appreciate the spirituality of my friends, even those of other friends. I appreciate that a friend sent me an email the other day about motherhood and spirituality, even though we belong to different faiths. We can all find strength in each other and help each other along our path.

I am excited to continue to find more insights about parenting as I read the scriptures this year. If you have any you have discovered that you want to share with me, I'd love to hear about it.

4 comments:

Kjelstrom Family said...

I really like this idea! I have been looking for a new way to read the scriptures and think this would be perfect as I prepare to be a mother myself. An insight I love to discuss is in Alma 32. In one of the verses it states, "If a seed groweth, it is good." It doesn't say if the seed is perfect, it tells us it is good when it grows. Be a progressionist, not a perfectionist. I love this insight into the way to live!

Devon said...

Hey, that is a great idea for study! Thanks for the idea!

miju miju said...

Danke für die Glückwünsche für Julius. Es geht so schnell mit den Kindern. Wir lieben es als Grossfamilie zusammen zu sein und zum Glück mögen wir uns alle gerne.
Deine Gedanken erinnern mich immer daran was meine Mutter zu anderen Müttern sagte in unserer Kindheit/Jugend. Sie wahr/ist immer ziemlich auf Abstand gegangen zu den vielen Beratungsbüchern die kursierten und "in" waren, damit man eine bessere Mutter wird oder erfährt wie die Kinder am besten gedeihen. Sie sagte dann immer, dass sie nur einen Ratgeber braucht und dass wären die Heiligen Schriften. Dort würde sie alle Antworten für ihre Rolle als Mutter finden - timeless und true.
Schöne Idee nach diesem Thema zu studieren. Ich brauchte mal wieder einen kleinen Schubser. Das könnte er sein.
Liebe Grüsse Kerstina

sNick said...

Hey Dorthea! Good to catch up with you! Steph just had her second child yesterday, can you believe that? I guess we are quite grown up now. Crazy how that happens. I like you're blog. Good to see that you and your family are doing well!