I have often made a little 3x5 card that I keep in my scriptures with a one word idea for the year. Some past examples have included "Balance" "Happiness" "Organization." This year rather than one word, there have been a couple of phrases floating around my head that I think are going to be my theme for 2009.
Cherish each precious moment.
Rome wasn't built in a day.
Be grateful.
Rome wasn't built in a day.
Be grateful.
Each of these phrases bring specific thoughts and feelings to my mind and reminders of how I want to act/react to my surroundings and the people in my life. It is a reminder of my blessings and consequently the happiness I want to fill my heart with.
If you were to use a word or a phrase to describe your hopes for 2009 and are willing to share, leave me a comment- I'd love to hear your ideas.
If you were to use a word or a phrase to describe your hopes for 2009 and are willing to share, leave me a comment- I'd love to hear your ideas.
10 comments:
fill your reservoirs ...
it is a president kimball quote from the "teachings of the president's ..." manual. i just like the reminder to be filling them up as i never know when i will need to make a withdrawl!!
My theme (or word) for this year.
Is peace... Basically I am at peace in my life w/ my family and friends (my job not so much). But basically I feel at peace right now. I hope I can maintain this same feeling throughout the year.
'every day is a bonus'
I'm trying to enjoy each day as it comes...keep a little perspective you know and realize that it all passes by too quickly. Sorry about missing you here in St. George. My cell phone isn't working - its due for a replacement on Feb 1...so I am just holding off with no communication until then!
"Joy in the Journey"
I have a bad habit of focusing on a few things that aren't going exactly like I want instead of the many, many things that are going great. I like the reminder to just focus on the truly important things and be happy in whatever situation we are in.
Keep it simple.
In relationships, responsibilities, family time, budget... etc...
I'm a type A... so this will be hard... but maybe a good thing too.
Oh...and ... God loves you, just as you are.
Lauren stole mine.
After picking up the conference Ensign yesterday and reading Elder Bednar's talk, my personal focus for the year is prayer. I love the idea of spiritually creating my day through prayer before carrying out my tasks.
my post facto theme for the year has been this:
look at my life through the eyes of a friend. pretend i'm listening to a good friend as i complain or think about my day. how would i react to her? would i say, well you should have done this AND that, and you COULD have if you hadn't been so stupid? no! i would say, listen, you did ALL that with three kids?! you're awesome!
i'm always more understanding with other people than i am with myself. and when i can be understanding with myself, give myself the benefit of the doubt, i find it easier to be nice to other people--especially my kids. it has completely changed the way i operate. so i'm just hoping i can keep it up when it's so tempting to expect everything from myself.
focus on relationships and making memories with those you love. When we leave this life, "things" won't come with us but our memories and relationships will.
cath: that has been something I've thought about lots in the past. thanks for the reminder.
Vanessa: I love the idea of peace. Something I want to strive for, too.
Susan: I think that's what I'm trying to say with cherish each precious moment.
Lauren and Rozanne: another focus of mine. Really trying to cherish and enjoy each day. Like the talk by Elder Wirthlin I think? Or was it President Monson. Either way...
Queen Scarlett: Keep it simple-I like that. I saw a magazine with that title. Have you heard of it? Wondered whether it was any good...
Mrs. M: I've wanted for some time to focus on that, but always seem too busy or tired. I need to change that aspect of my life...
maurine: I like that thought. hadn't really thought of that.
Wood: that is true and something I know you've experienced. A good reminder. thank you.
Post a Comment