Saturday, January 10, 2009

Grossvati: Jan. 9, 1919



Yesterday we celebrated the birthday of my Grossvati (grandpa) Immo Luschin. He would have been 90. I was very close to him and miss him and think of him often. We sang happy birthday and some people shared memories about him. Some of the main things that I think about when I think of him are his knowledge of the gospel and how he taught me so much. He has influenced my testimony more than almost anyone else on earth. He knew the scriptures so well. He made doctrinal discussions interesting to me even as a kid. He made me feel smart and talked to me like an adult. He knew so much about everything. He knew all the names of plants whenever we went on a walk in the forest or the fields of Germany. He knew languages and grammar so well that he could make the funniest jokes. He would always compliment me on things I did well and teach me how to do all sorts of things properly, from polishing shoes to mixing vinegar and oil into a salad. He was a constant teacher but never in a patronizing way. You wanted to learn when you were around him. It almost doesn't matter where in the world I go, people I meet knew Immo and loved him.
The last words he said to me are precious to me: "Es wird gut mit dir weitergehen." (Things will go well for you-although that doesn't seem to translate quite properly and I can't think of how else to say it in English.)
I just wanted to tell the world I love this man and am grateful for all the things he taught me and how he loved me, too. His life is so interesting, it could fill a book. But tonight I'm just saying: Grossvati, I love you. Thank you for your life. I hope I make you proud.

No comments: