Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Who let me grow up anyway?

The following entry was from my journal a few weeks ago one night when I was just simply frustrated with myself and needed a humorous outlet.  Enjoy.


I look around at the house, a complete mess.  Paper work everywhere, a carpet full of hole punch pieces that fell out, boxes that need to go to DI, shelves and closets that need to be organized, and it just doesn't end.  Let's not even begin talking about the things that are hidden to the eyes: computer files that need organizing, digital photos, finances and papers stuffed in folders that look deceptively neat from the outside.  And let's not get near the subject of children and my lack of patience with my almost 5 year old who won't go in any room by herself, even in broad daylight, who turns bed-time into a 2 hour ordeal, who is slower than a snail when she is getting in or out of the car or asked to do anything for that matter.  Or my 1 year old who won't let daddy leave in the mornings (sweet yes, a pain, yes), who won't eat dinner unless he's sitting on daddy's lap and who won't let me cook dinner without being in my arms...

All this to say-who let me grow up anyway? Who thought it was okay to let me become an adult with the responsibilities for not only myself, but other helpless, innocent human beings? Maybe that person should have their head examined.

So who was it?  
Let's see, where can we put the blame.  

Parents? Yes, they let you go off to college to have your first attempts at adulthood and taking care of yourself.  But do they think you're really ready and capable of survival of the fittest?  I'm not sure they do, so maybe they're not entirely to blame.  

Society?  Yes, society says at 18 we're grown up and can take upon ourselves most "grown up" responsibilities.  But do they train us? Only half-heartedly.  You learn algebra and chemistry, but who teaches you to budget, clean toilets, run a household, manage your time, be a parent...

That takes us back to our parents.  Yes, they have a lot of responsibilities when it comes to teaching us how to grow up and take care of ourselves.  But in those pre-18 year old years, do we actually care about any of that stuff or listen? No, we're too busy having friends, practicing the piano, doing our homework, sports, church, hobbies and even service- all of the things required for our resume to get into college to be adults where we are once again left on our own by society whose requirements to get to adulthood (college) don't actually do anything to prepare you for adulthood.

Who let me grow up?  Society or parents, you can flip a coin.  
But blame myself? Oh no, that would be far too mature.

3 comments:

QueenScarlett said...

I marvel that I am in charge of everything I am...because I still feel like a young 20 year old.

...all I can say to your post is...Yes, yes and yes... I hear ya.

Arnold LvE said...

have you ever considered sending these things to a newspaper? Keep up the great writing.

Joel and Natalie said...

Amen! Yes, Amen!