This isn't going to be long or extremely poetic, but I feel the need to write these thoughts tonight. So here you have it.
Your best is good enough.
In a world where we see beauty and "perfection" flashed across the screen, in a world where we blog-hop and see other people with perfectly decorated homes, perfectly cooked meals, days full of adventures with their kids and cute crafts and inventions galore it is easy to feel less than good enough.
I think most of us struggle with this concept to some degree or another. Even those of us that are good at some things don't feel good enough at other things and so the things we are good at don't seem to matter.
I try hard to accept myself, my mothering, my household, my meals, my interactions with my children and everything else I do. Many times I do a good job at accepting myself. Other times the "you're not good enough" or worse, the "you'll never be good enough" devils on my shoulder get a little too loud.
Luckily I have a husband who reminded me of "the widow's mite." What she gave wasn't glamorous. To the world her offering was probably a joke. Practically worthless. But it was her best. It was small, but it was hers. Hers to give. It was not only good enough, it was figuratively more than others had given.
Sometimes I wish my best were better. But on the other hand, we're not perfect on purpose. We have been given weaknesses so that we will turn to the Savior. Yet in our weaknesses, we are still asked to do our personal best. Not running faster than we have strength, just our best.
And your best is good enough.
He accepts it. Just like He accepted the widow's mite.
He accepts you.
Just the way you are.
6 comments:
I totally feel you! I love the blogging world but sometimes it either inspires me to run too fast or just feel like crap. I hate the reality that we can't do it all...I'm always trying to look for a way for that to happen. You are right, we can only do our best:)
Thanks for such an important reminder. I think lately I'm on the other end of things. "Oh, whatever I do will be fine. It doesn't matter." The widow did really give all that she had, and I need to work a little harder to do my best. :)
Thanks for the little reminder!
i've needed this lately. thanks dorothea!
Thank you, thank you for this.
Hi Dorothea! My dad told me that he saw you today. I'm glad to have found your blogs! You have a beautiful family. Also, thanks for sharing this thought--it's a great thing to be reminded of. Happy New Year!
Post a Comment