Tuesday, February 23, 2010
The Joy of Covenants
A few weeks ago we had rain in California.
Lots of rain.
You know the song: "It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya, it pours, man it pours."
I think we all felt like we were going to float away.
One morning however, I looked out the window and noticed a rainbow. I ran outside in my pyjamas and rainboots to get a picture. Now you know, you can never capture the beauty of a rainbow on a regular camera, but I took some pictures anyway to remember the moment.
The story of Noah's ark immediately popped into my mind and the scripture that talks about that God put a rainbow in the sky as a covenant to Noah that he would never cover the earth with a flood like that again.
I'm sure that living in the closed ark with a bunch of animals for 40 days and nights and however long it took for the earth to dry up after that was quite a trial. I could see how anytime it rained after that Noah might get a little nervous thinking, is it going to flood again? Do I have to go through this again? But he didn't have to get nervous, because God had given him a sign and a covenant to go with it.
As I looked at that rainbow I was touched and filled with joy and gratitude, knowing that God cares about us, that we have the privilege of making covenants with Him and that He cannot break His covenants with us as long as we keep our part of the promises we have made.
Covenants help us feel safe.
Covenants bring me joy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i am so grateful that i read this today. thanks for the lift. :)
Post a Comment