Here is my first assignment from TravelinOma. I had a lot of fun writing it. The other week I was asked by the Youth leader at church, what are your hobbies if we were to decorate something for you. For the first time in my life I had a really hard time coming up with something about myself that I'm currently into other than feeding, clothing and keeping the kids otherwise occupied. It was fun doing this assignment and focusing on myself, even though it was a little blast to the past (college years) and remembering that I did have interests and even a personality of my own! It was also fun mixing some fiction and some truth in creating a little short story about the beginnings of my romance. Happy Reading!
Assignment:
~ Write a page about you. Introduce yourself. Prompt: If you were a character in your own book, what would your name be? Describe your inner self and your outer self. Prompt: "He saw her sneak into the classroom. She was ____, but he could tell she was____. . ."
He saw her sneak into the classroom. She was late today, but he could tell she was flustered and upset by something. She looked like she had been crying. She was never late to class. Something bad must have happened.
“I’ll try to catch her after class,” he thought, although he knew she was hard to catch, always on a tight schedule, her head filled with the many things on her to-do list.
Hard to catch, but oh, what a catch she would be if he could ever get her to relax a bit and spend some time with him. From his observation of her throughout that semester he knew she was a girl with her head on straight. Her comments in class demonstrated her ease with speaking in front of people, and not only that, but her ability to speak of things that really mattered to her. They would connect on a deep spiritual level, he was sure of that. He had been lucky enough to be randomly assigned to be in a group with her that had a project to complete, otherwise he may have had an even harder time getting to know that busy girl.
The professor’s voice droned above his head: “....and so we see in the beauty of this art form...”
Yes, she was beautiful, he thought. Just like the art they were discussing. Classic, timeless, inspiring. Hers was a beauty that would not come and go with the trends of time. She had medium long wavy brown hair, great big blue-green eyes that sparkled when she got really enthusiastic about an idea. Her clothes reflected her classic look but without any sign off stiffness. She was comfortable in her skin. She wasn’t blown around by fads and trends. She was like a Greek Goddess. Which is why her name fit her so perfectly: Thea (Ta-ya), short for Dorothea, a Greek name meaning “gift of God.”
The professor’s voice continued: “...the sensitivity of the artist demonstrates a keen eye and understanding of human nature...”
McKay glanced over at Thea. She was a calmer now but still looked upset. Yes, professor, you are right. She has great sensitivity and cares deeply about others. I wonder what is bothering her. McKay got the sense that because of her sensitivity she worried a little too much at times, that she got hung up on issues and had a hard time letting go. I can help her with that, he thought. We’d be a perfect match.
Funny the kind of things you can learn about a person from a art research project, he mused. He loved how animated she would get when discussing things she loved, like art and music. He had heard that she was a talented artist and musician herself, but that she also dreamed of the day when she could mix her talents with her desire to be a mother. He could tell she was fiercely loyal to people and to assignments she accepted. She was dependable. Which was another reason he was worried about her that morning. His mind raced. I know she probably doesn’t consider me one of her closest friends, but I’ve GOT to talk to her. I would love to see inside her heart and help her if I could.
The bell rang. The noise of people packing up their bags shook McKay out of his thoughts. Now’s my chance, he thought. If I can only catch her...why do there have to be so many people in the way? She’s getting away! Okay, Superman, fly. You’ve got to save your damsel in distress. It might not be easy, but no one ever said pursuing perfection would be a walk in the park. But hey, where there is a Greek Goddess, there is a Renaissance man waiting in the wings. And for a Renaissance man like myself, anything is possible.
7 comments:
This is a great piece of work! Underneath all the mom responsibilities, you're still there.
Love it!!!
... who's McKay? It better be Warren. hahah ;-)
Great writing! You have a terrific talent of expressing things, keep it up!
How fun! This was great! I miss writing for myself...letting the creative juices flow. Someday I will allow myself to focus on that again but for now I think I'm in survival mode!
Very Fun to Read...is there a "...to be continued?"
actually, Brian is Charity...sorry.
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I haven't written any "fiction" since high school! It was a lot of fun.
Charity: I haven't planned a "to be continued..." but we'll see if the muse ever strikes again.
Post a Comment