I've been wanting to share this story for some time now.
This is a story about my mom and a friend of hers. My mom was living in Germany at the time. There was a lady at church who was concerned (as we all are) about her housekeeping and trying to stay on top of things. She had a couple of young children and was frustrated with trying to keep things in perfect order. My mom felt inspired to tell her to relax about her perfect housekeeping and just enjoy her children more and the time she had with them.
Not long thereafter that woman was diagnosed with cancer and died within a short period of time. But before her passing she thanked my mother for the counsel she had given her. What a blessing that this lady could at least look back on the last part of her life with gratitude that she had spent more time with her children.
I think the frustration of housework is something that can really get us moms down. Some personalities more than others, but it's probably a common theme. I'm not a perfect housekeeper, but I've been trying hard to do the basics amid still trying to move into our new house. The thing is, if your happiness is based on having a clean house you'll never be happy, because it will NEVER be done. It can't be done unless you're not actually LIVING in your home.
So...I've been trying to acknowledge that fact and do my best to keep the house running and clean here and there, while not getting frustrated that it is never clean everywhere at once.
And at the same time I've been working hard (as any of my readers know by now) at enjoying these precious childhood years more. It's not that I've discovered the secret, but I have been more successful than in the past-of letting the present mess go, and just enjoying the here and now. And it's good. Really, really good. I like feeling this way and hope I can keep it up.
Tonight was a good example. My personality is to be very focused on the task at hand. Consequently I get frustrated if I'm being "thwarted" at what I NEED to do. It's a weakness and a strength. It means I can be very efficient and productive and disciplined (and a high achiever), but can lack some spontaneity and flexibility and get frustrated more easily by kids who are completely spontaneous.
I was hand watering some patches of grass that needed personalized attention. It was almost bedtime for the kids and I just wanted to get this done before it got any later. Of course water+kids=play and get soaked. They started by just putting their feet in my stream of water (which was annoying enough because it kept the water from going where it was SUPPOSED to be going). Then they tried to take more control over the hose as the water covered more and more of their clothing and the squeals of laughter escalated. The "natural woman" me wanted to be frustrated and say: "Just let me get my job done!!!!" but as I started feeling that way I remembered what was more important. Kids. Yes, kids, not grass. The results are below. Have you ever seen more joy in that little guy's face?
5 comments:
I so understand this...I am also completely task oriented and I miss out on a lot of fun. You are right - life moves on with or without us and someone is going to pee in the toilet you just cleaned so... I need to get over myself and have a good time!
I have this problem too... ;-) I love the smile on his face.
I'm constantly fighting against myself in that respect. Letting the thing that don't really matter go... clean house, organized schedule...yada yada.
Etwas einfach auf den Punkt gebracht: "Die Arbeit läuft dir nicht davon, wenn du deinem Kind den Regenbogen zeigst, aber der Regenbogen wartet nicht, bis Du mit Deiner Arbeit fertig bist".
Und noch ein Satz den Harriet Uchtdorf mal zu Antje und mir in Bezug auf dieses Thema sagte: "The days are long, but the years come quick".
Liebe Grüße aus Deutschland
Kerstina
Thanks . . . I need that reminder myself.
Thank you for posting this! I directed it to someone I love who struggles with this. I know I will too, but just haven't discovered it yet. I love the look on both of your kids faces. Priceless. You are a great momma!
Post a Comment