It's been crazy lately. All sorts of stuff happening. February was not a good month physically for our family and then March has been emotionally tough. Things going on for those I love in different ways. There have been funerals, a wedding, a wedding coming up, events at church etc. Like I said, busy.
The most public of all these events was the earthquake in Japan, with the resulting tsunami and all the devastation and horrible aftermath. It is far from being over for the people of Japan, and for the world in some form or another.
The events there really hit me hard. Friday morning I hadn't even heard the news when I was skyping my parents and my dad said, "I can't talk right now, but Christoph is okay." Christoph is okay I thought? I quickly found out about the earthquake. My brother, his wife and daughter are currently living in Tokyo. His wife's mother was visiting when the earthquake hit. It was very intense, even though they were as far from the epicenter as Tokyo. I started reading the news online like crazy and it was really getting me down. I finally had to step back a little. It just felt so strange to be going on with daily life and our daily struggles and planning for the future when the people of Japan were fighting to survive hour by hour. The pictures of the devastation were incomprehensible. It really makes you have a better sense of the destruction that happened in the Book of Mormon before Christ was resurrected. It speaks of cities being swallowed up by the mountains or into the sea.
Anyway, due to a variety of concerns including no public transportation, limited gas, limited food, no working ATMs etc etc Christoph and Emily have come back to the USA for a short break while things settle down in Japan. We're all praying that some sort of normalcy can resume for the people there as soon as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment